Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What's a physics major to do in Ecuador?

One of my friends spent this summer in Togo on a trip that attracted anthropology students. Of course, Rui is a chemistry major and had to explain her reasons for traveling to Africa. Eventually, she addressed this in her blog, and I have decided to follow her lead.

First, I go to a liberal arts school. When I applied to colleges, I definitely considered science schools like Caltech but ended up not even applying to them. Despite my strong preference for math and science from preschool (and no that is not an exaggeration) onward, I also love Russian history (thanks, Dr. Hendrick) and studio art. I wanted to be able to explore these while still majoring in a science. I listed a strong study abroad program as a requirement for college, too. Exploring another culture and learning to live in a foreign environment for an extended amount of time had been dreams of mine since two of my best friends and I decided that we were going to attend University of Glasgow and live in a flat. However, I realized that studying abroad would be close to impossible at many schools, since science classes must be taken in sequence and often cannot be pushed off until the next term or year. Now that I am a liberal arts student, my schedule has still been dominated by math and science classes, though I must say it is my own fault. If I have not been able to take all of the humanities and art courses that I would like, I still wanted to study abroad.

So if I want more history and art classes, why did I choose a program where I will still be doing science? Well, I realize that conservation biology is definitely science, but for me, it is still rather liberal artsy--something different than my normal classes. My college schedule has been filled with physics, chemistry, computer science, and math--but no bio. In fact, I have not taken biology since being required to take AP Bio in high school, which I put off as long as I could. This is not to say that I hate biology, just that my main focus has always been elsewhere. In elementary school, I loved math and always wanted to do science that involved math, so I've been inclined to do physics from before I knew what physics really was. Biology filled the role of being an extra science that involved some cool things like animals. In seventh grade, I only claimed to want to be a marine biologist because box jellies are relatively unknown but incredibly fascinating, and it was the "cool scientist." Even then I realized that my intense fear of sharks would not bode well for such a career path.

Although biology is not one of my passions, it is not unexpected for me to choose a program related to environmental studies. When I was six, my sister and I saved our minute allowances and donated them to the Children's Rainforest. Then, in fourth grade, when I learned how many fast food hamburgers are made from cattle raised off off of burned rainforest land, I immediately extricated pre-shaped hamburgers from my diet. Granted, that was not too difficult considering how rarely my family ate fast food. I've always loved hiking as well, and family vacations were, as often as not, trips to National Parks. On one such trip in South Dakota, I even kept a record of all of the animals that we saw, including date, time and number. My parents were wise enough to estimate the number of buffalo in a herd as a thousand before I tried to count them. Now, when I hike in the Southern Appalachians, I cannot resist rattling off the names of the plants that surround me, and while I may have never taken an environmental studies class, I have read many of the classic texts and care deeply about the welfare of the Earth.

Conservation biology in Ecuador may not fit in with my studies of physics, but it still fits my passions and desire to help actual environmentalists. And although I did not mean to write an entire essay on the fact, I believe that this should have addressed any lingering questions as to my choice to study abroad.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, I like how conservation biology is a bit "liberal-artsy" :-), but I would have to share the same view.

    ReplyDelete