Tuesday, September 22, 2009

And so it begins...

I arrived in Ecuador Sunday night after two flights, and then in Cuenca yesterday afternoon. Although we´ve had a decent amount of free time, I feel like I have been quite busy and don´t have much time right now, but I´ll try to hit the highlights.

First, my group consists of four students (Elizabeth, Alex, Tim and me) and two student leaders (Coral and Jesse). So far we are getting along really well, though Alex has suffered a bit from adjusting to the altitude. We are at about 7,500 ft in Cuenca and were at 9,000 in Quito. Despite being at such high altitudes, both cities are located in valleys. The views of the mountains are gorgeous!

Elizabeth, Tim and Jesse are all really into food and cooking, so we´ve had fun discussing our favorite dishes and planning what to make. Early this afternoon, we went to the supermarket to go grocery shopping and then to the market. The actual market was amazing! There were so many fresh fruits and vegetables. Some of them I didn´t recognize, but we still decided to try them. I´m quickly learning to recognize passionfruits, of which there are two varieties. Maricolla, whose spelling I need to look up, is the one I´ve had so far. It is the more bitter of the two, but quite delicious and makes a wonderful juice. We didn´t buy any meat but did walk down the aisle. It was strange to see the whole animals hanging up, or the hooves and heads near by.

Although this trip is not focused on Spanish and does not require that we have any background, I am getting a fair amount of practice and am a bit surprised that I am doing okay with it. We are planning on having dinners where we can only speak Spanish to practice, especially when we´re in the field and won´t have the same opportunities. In the local villages, the indigineous speak Quechua, which is supposedly an incredibly difficult language to pick up.

We have a beautiful house in Cuenca, which is quite large for the six of us. The ground floor includes the kitchen, dining room, and living areas, while we have two more floors where we sleep. The house has a few balconies, huge windows, and skylights, so that we only have to use the lights at night.

Well, we are heading back to the house now, so I´ll have to describe it better later.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful. Enjoy the food and the culture.
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are safely there... and your adventures begin now!

    ReplyDelete