Friday, September 11, 2009

Various Forms of Conservation

As a physics major, I often use conservation laws--Conservation of Energy, Conservation of Momentum, Conservation of Electric Charge--to solve problems. But soon, I am embarking on a completely different set of problems involving conservation biology. However, the conservation of physics aligns more closely with preservation than ecological conservation.

Of course, Hetchy Hetchy Valley is the prime example of the difference between conservation and preservation. Gifford Pinchot, Theodore Roosevelt's chief forester, declared that "conservation means the greatest good to the greatest number for the longest time," meaning that resources are meant to be used wisely but in many cases still used. John Muir wanted to preserve the northern California valley in order to save the natural beauty for future generations. Both views are contribute to the current conservation movement, and of course, they are not always in opposition like they were over Hetchy Hetchy. Preserving a wildlife refuge may lead to the conservation of buffalo or bald eagles.

This semester, I will be learning to apply these methods in the highlands of southern Ecuador. Among the projects that I am assisting is conservation of Andean bears, hence the title of this blog. I'll attempt to update this blog so that you may follow along on my adventures. But first I have a few disclaimers:
  • I will not have continuous access to internet, so I do not promise regular schedule. In fact, this blog may end up with only four or five posts, though I will attempt to post when I can.
  • I am writing for a variety of audiences, and as always with a public blog, I may not be aware of all of my readers. Thus, you may not understand every reference I make, or I may explain something in greater detail than you as an individual need, since some of you have already traveled to Ecuador and others know more biology than I ever will.
  • The picture at the top of the page is clearly inaccurate. Of course, bears do not live in the Galapagos, but I did take the picture on my previous trip to Ecuador and preferred it to those of Cotopaxi. At least it is the correct country.
  • As my internet access will be limited, I might be rushed when typing an entry. Thus, I will suffice it to say, "Any instances of non-standard spelling, grammar or punctuation are hereby declared intentional and should be considered jokkes."

5 comments:

  1. Yes!! I am going to follow this conservation adventure of yours. Can't wait to read about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm with Rui!
    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mega lolz to the last bullet point. that is going to be true for me too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, this is so exciting! Count me in as a fan of your blog. Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures. Miss ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, this is on the internets, but it is much fun, and challenging geographically!
    http://www.travelpod.com/traveler-iq

    ReplyDelete